Has this ever happened to you? It’s Friday afternoon, you’ve had a very busy week and you are wondering where did the time go? It’s the beginning of March and wasn’t New Year just yesterday, where did the time go? What did I get accomplished?
As professionals and particularly business owners we can get so busy with demands that we don’t know where our time goes and if we are using it effectively. When this happens it is important to step back and ask yourself a few key questions.
- How are you spending you day?
- Are you working effectively?
- Are you focused on the right things?
- Are you doing tasked that you really should be delegating to someone else?
- What are the top 3 things that you should be focused on and how much time are you spending on them?
- What are you avoiding?
I’m in the process of asking myself these questions to understand and improve how I’m applying myself. I’ve built into my day a simple time tracking process so that I can identify trends, areas to improve on and monitor my own work habits. Interestingly, just the act of recording my time has made me more conscious of my choices and I’ve seen immediate improvement.